Is your Ethernet Connection Not Working? Here are the Probable Reasons with the Solutions
Before we get into the main course that will let you know the problems related to the Ethernet connection not working, I will let you have a background check.
This is because you might be using an ethernet cable for a long time but you may not have any idea what it is and how does it work.
If you have a brief idea about this particular tool, it will be easier for you to detect any kind of error and the reason for which it is taking place.
A Bit about Ethernet Cables
So, the first thing is what is an ethernet cable. It is a very trivial category of network cable. It is used with wired networking.
This particular cable is used for building up connections in devices such as computers, laptops, routers, and even switches located within a local area network.
One thing that is limited in this kind of cabling system is the length of the cable and the longevity of the cable.
There are cases where the cable is too long and not of very good quality and people coming up with complaints about not getting proper network connections.
This is the reason that one particular ethernet cable cannot be used for more than one purpose. Each kind of ethernet cable is destined to utilize certain specific functions.
There are many kinds of ethernet cables that are in active use now and this is mainly inclusive of category 5 and category 6 ethernet cables as they are very much useful in the case of big industrial sectors or business purposes.
There are other connection systems that help in building up without any making any sort of cable connections, the wireless connection systems, like the Wifi or the Bluetooth.
Problems Related to Ethernet Cables
The thing is, a system of a network cannot be constructed without an ethernet cable and so this is the base.
But, there are moments where the Ethernet cables stop working in a proper manner and that is when the real problem begins.
This can be a very problematic issue as the ethernet cable might be connected to a router and that router is connected with many devices.
So, if the cable stops providing any sort of connection to the router, the rest of the devices that are connected will fail to reach the network. As a result, the evolution of major chaos would be taking place.
This article, here, will give you some solutions to problems that usually cause the ethernet cable to stop working.
If you see your ethernet cable is not working, the reasons for it can be many. The connection between the device and the ethernet cable can be loose enough to provide proper network service.
The solution is quite simple and that is obviously tightening up the connection. Another reason can be the socket that might be broken for any reason not allowing it to provide any proper connection.
The other is, that I discussed already in short, cables that are too long and worn out are having very high chances to cause network problems.
What you can do when your Ethernet Connection not Working?
There are a set of methods that will help you get rid of the problems as quickly as possible. Here are they:
- You can try a different port on the router you are using.
- The second option is to go for updating the network card driver.
- If there is an antivirus or a firewall running actively on your device, turn it off.
- You have to make sure that the Ethernet cable you are using is sanctioned.
- The final thing you will be needing to do is check the cable.
The first method
This method includes trying a different port on the router you are using. In case the port that is being used is damaged or does not operate properly, you will not be able to connect with the router.
You have to unplug the cable from the broken port. Then you need to plug the port into another port that is present beside the broken port.
Check whether the problem is resolved or not. This has the greatest chances of working so this is the first thing you can do for checking if the Ethernet cable is working well or not.
The second method
This method includes updating the network card driver as the problem of poor connection can occur due to faulty network drivers. In order to fix this problem, you can for this process and the results may be fruitful.
You need a great amount of patience to make this work out successfully.
If you are not somebody to carry great patience in your head, you can go various automatic software applications that will help you out by doing the update of the network driver automatically without any pressure.
The third method
This is a problem that is the result of interference from antivirus software.
If this is the problem for which your ethernet cable is failing to function properly, what you need to do is temporarily disable your antivirus and have a check on the problem to see if it is fixed or not.
You can also Consult your antivirus documentation for instructions on disabling it.
If this method resolves the issue, you can make contact with the vendor of your antivirus software and ask them for advice, or install a different antivirus solution.
Be careful about one thing.
Keep in mind that you should cautious about the web sites that you are visiting, what are the emails you are opening, and what are the files you are downloading and installing from the Internet when the anti-virus or the firewall on your device is made disabled.
The fourth method
This method is to make sure that your ethernet cable is enabled or sanctioned properly. For that, you need to follow a little set of steps.
The steps are listed below:
- The first step here is to click on the Windows key and R key at the same time from the keyboard. Here, you will see that a dialog box pops up on your screen.
- Now, you have to type devmgmt.msc in the Run dialog box and then click on the OK button. What you will be able to see now is the Device Manager window popping up on the screen.
- In the Device Manager window, you have to go for expanding the Network adapters category.
- If you see an icon representing a computer with an arrow on top of it right next to the ethernet card device name, you will know that the ethernet has been completely disabled.
- The next step here is to right-click on the name of the device followed by clicking on the Enable from the menu that will pop up.
The fifth method
In this method, you need to have a check on the cable. Make sure that the ethernet cable is working properly and is not damaged or broken.
You can check this by altering cables. If the root of the problem is in the cable then this method will be definitely working.
You can also go for reinstalling your Ethernet drivers. For this, you need to follow the following steps. The steps are listed below.
- Click on the Start menu and in the search box, look for the device manager. The device manager icon will be appearing in the search results. Click on the Device Manager icon.
- The next step is to expand the Network Adapters panel.
- The next step that you have to work on here is to right-click on the ethernet adapter. It is the one that is not with Wifi or wireless in its name.
- Then, the next step is to click on the Uninstall option from the pop-up menu.
- You have to confirm the uninstallation by clicking on the OK button.
- Now, the last and the final step to this method is to Reboot for the reinstallation of the driver.
This will surely be fixing the problem.
This was the different method for fixing the problem of malfunctioning of your Ethernet cable in providing a proper network.
I hope that the tips and tricks I have mentioned and described elaborately above will definitely help you if you find out your Ethernet connection not working.
You can feel free to ask any questions regarding this piece and comment down to let us know if any of these methods helped you out to set you free from this problem.
Visit our other articles on this website to know about many more relevant topics.