The Discord was primarily designed for the communities of the gamers and it is a VOIP app. However, today everyone is using Discord. If you are using the Discord app, you might be facing the problem of Discord notification sound not working. This problem can cause a lot of problems in communication, as most of the people have the Discord app running in the background.
This discoed no notification sound is a huge problem for the gamers as they will not be able to know about any direct message. The not working of the notification sound also affects when someone has joined your channel or when someone has tagged you. You will not be able to hear any of these sounds for this problem. Moreover, this problem occurs even when you have enabled the sound for the notification.
This problem can be caused due to multiple reasons. So, in this article, I will tell you how you can fix this problem of Discord notification sound not working.
Procedures to Fix the Sound of Discord Desktop Notifications Not Working
So, here I will tell you the procedure for the fix to each of the reasons which cause this problem. Hence you can try them and see what is the reason for this problem.
Output Device Setup
This problem can sometimes be caused by the output device you are using. It might be possible that the Discord may be to set to another output than the one you are using. In that case, you just have to change the output setting of the Discord to your current device. You can do this by following the given steps:
- At first, you have to open the Discord app.
- Now, within the app, you have to go to the option of “User Settings”. This setting is located at the bottom left corner of your screen. A gear symbol is used to represent this option.
- Within the setting, you have to select the option of “Voice & Video”.
- Now, you have to select the option of “Output” from the drop-down menu. And in this option, you have to select your device.
- Lastly, you have to “close” the window.
Now, you are settings have been changed to your current device. But, if you see that the problem of Discord no notification sound is still present, then you can try the next method.
You will find an option called the “Streamer Mode” within the app. This option is basically for the streamers who are streaming the games they are playing. While using this app, the notification sounds are turned off so that no interruption occurs during the streaming.
Hence, if your “Streamer Mode” is on, then you will not be able to hear any notification sound. So, you should turn it off so that the notification sounds are activated. However, you might be thinking that this might not be the reason for your problem because you never turned on the “Streamer Mode”. But, you are wrong. This mode gets turned automatically when it detects that you are running XSplit/OBS.
So, you can follow the given steps to turn it off.
- First, you have to open the Discord app.
- Then, click on the option of “User Settings”. This is located at the bottom left corner of the screen.
- In the menu, you have to go to the “App Setting”. Then within this option click on the “Streamer Mode”.
- Here you have to check whether the “Streamer Mode” is turned off or on. If you see that the option is on, then by clicking on the switch beside “Enable Streamer Mode”, you will be able to turn it off.
- Now, all you have to do is close the window and see whether the problem has been resolved or not.
If the problem of discord desktop notifications not working is not resolved, then move to the next solution.
If you are facing this problem of discord notification sound not working from the time after installing the Discord app, then you might be having a server setting problem. The default setting of the app is to give sound every time you are mentioned by someone. But, if you are not getting any sound even when you are getting a massage, then you might have to make changes in the setting.
So, you can follow the given steps to change the server settings:
- At first, you have to open the app of Discord.
- Then you have to go to the server icon and right-click on it. These are the servers with which you might be facing the problem. So, if you want to get notified with sound for each of these servers, then you have to repeat these steps for each server.
- After that, from the menu, you have to select the option of “Notification Settings”.
- Then, you have to click on the option of “All Messages”, which is located in the “Server Notification Settings”.
- Lastly, click on the option “Done”.
Now, you have to redo these steps for all the servers or the ones you want to get the sound notifications from. This should solve your problem of discord desktop notifications not working. If you are still not getting the sounds, then proceed to the next method.
Update Your Windows And Discord
If none of the previous methods have worked for you, then lastly you can try to solve the problem by updating your Discord app and Windows. The problem might be occurring due to some bug in the app or in Windows.
- The first step will be to open the update page by pressing the “Windows” key and the “I” simultaneously.
- Then click on “Update & Security”.
- In the new window, click on “Check for updates”.
This will show you the updates available and then you can download and install them.
Discord App Update
- You have to start the process by opening the Discord app.
- Now, you have to make sure that the cursor of your mouse is on the Discord app. Then you can press the “CTRL” key and “R” key simultaneously.
With this, the Discord app will check for any available updates and download them accordingly. You will not be able to see any difference in the appearance of Discord because these are minor updates. Now, you can refresh the app and check if the problem of discord desktop notifications not working is still present.
So, for the problem of discord notification sound not working, any of the above-discussed fixes will be able to solve it. These are the most common reasons for the Discord Error faced by the users of the Discord app.