How to Uninstall Chromium from the Computer
Chromium is an open-source browser project created by Google. Google Chrome application is based on this browser. Since this browser is open-source, therefore its source code can be downloaded by anyone and then tweaked according to their preference. So, anybody who has a bad intention can add malware to the source code of the Chromium application and harm the user who downloads and installs that infected file. However, here there will be multiple methods on how to uninstall Chromium.
How to remove Chromium?
You will get various methods here that will allow you to get rid of the Chromium application from the computer in an easy way.
Uninstall Chromium application via Control Panel and remove AppData Directory
Here, you will steps how to remove the Chromium application from the computer via Control Panel. Then, delete the Chromium sub-folder from the AppData directory. In order to do that, follow the steps below.
- First, press the combination of ‘Windows + R’ keys to launch the new ‘Run’ dialog box.
- Inside that dialog box, type in the text “appwiz.cpl” and then click on the ‘OK’ button. As soon as you do that then a new window having the name ‘Programs and Features’ will come up.
- Inside that window, you will get a list full of all the installed applications. From that list, locate the Chromium application and right-click on it.
- Then, from the popup menu that appears, choose the ‘Uninstall’ button. When the uninstaller window comes up, next, follow the instructions and accordingly click on the ‘Uninstall’ button.
- Next, once the removal process of the Chromium application is over, next, restart the computer. If after the next boot you see the Chromium icon on the system tray then go on with the following steps.
- Launch the ‘File Explorer’ window and then follow the path – “C:\Users\(Personal Folder)\AppData\Local”. This will open the contents within the ‘Local’ folder.
- Within that folder find the Chromium folder and right-click on it. Next, from the popup menu that appears choose the ‘Delete’ option.
- This will completely remove Chromium from the computer.
If the system still contains some malicious data in relation to the Chromium application, then it can disrupt the normal functioning of the computer.
Manually remove the Chromium
If the previous method is unable to get rid of the Chromium browser from the machine, then what you can do is manually remove the application. Here are the steps on how to delete Chromium.
- First, press the three following keys ‘Ctrl + Shift + Delete’ simultaneously. This will open a new page with five unique options.
- Now, out of those options choose the one that says ‘Task Manager’. As soon as you click on that option, then a new window having the title ‘Task Manager’ will come up.
- In that window, click on the ‘Processes’ tab. Under that tab, you will get a list full of all the processes that are currently running.
- Next, from that list find all the Chromium processes. Then, right-click on a single Chromium process and then choose the ‘Open File Location’ option.
- Once the location of the malicious Chromium application opens up, next, go to the ‘Task Manager’ and close all the Chromium processes by right-clicking on them and tap ‘End Task’ one after another.
- Now, go back to the location of the malicious Chromium program and then delete the main executable i.e ‘.exe’ file. If the normal deletion process does not work, then drag that executable file and drop it on ‘Recycle Bin’.
- At this time, delete all the remaining files from the folder of Chromium application. Next, press the ‘Up’ arrow and remove the folder itself.
- Next, remove the ‘Data’ folder that is left within the ‘Game Bot’ folder and go one step up to the ‘Local’ folder.
- From the ‘Local’ folder, locate the ‘Game Bot’ directory and delete it. Remove all these folders and files from the ‘Recycle Bin’
- At last, restart the system and see if there is any sign of the ‘Chromium’ application.
Use a reliable removal Application
If both the methods presented here are unable to rectify the “Chromium won’t uninstall Windows 10” issue, then as a last solution all you can do is use the reliable uninstaller application. For that to happen, follow the steps below.
- First, open a web browser and then search for a reliable removal software on the internet.
- If you have got a good removal software that is free and reliable, then go to its official website and download the setup file. Once the download process is over, next, locate the setup file and double-click on it to execute the same.
- When an installer window of the reliable removal application comes up, next, follow the instructions that appear on the screen and accordingly click on the ‘Install’ button. Now, wait for the installation process to get over.
- Once the installation procedure is complete, next, locate the reliable removal application icon on the desktop and double-click on it, to launch the program.
- Now, go to the left panel of the reliable uninstaller software window and click on the ‘All Programs’ option. Next, move to the right-hand pane of the window then locate the ‘Chromium’ folder.
- After that, click on the ‘trash bin’ icon associated with the ‘Chromium’ option. If a confirmation page appears, then put a checkmark on the ‘Automatically remove residual files’ option and click the ‘Uninstall’ button.
- Wait for the complete removal process of Chromium application. Once the uninstallation process is over, next, reboot the computer and check whether any Chromium file still present or not.