You can get the “Discord not picking up mic” error due to some internal glitch within the application. When this issue occurs, you can hear other members but unable to communicate with them. Most of the time, this issue appears on the desktop version of the Discord application.
Causes for the Discord mic not working Problem
Here, there will be multiple reasons for the occurrence of this error.
- If the Discord application is not executed as an Administrator, then you can encounter this problem.
- When the ‘Automatic Input Sensitivity’ option is deactivated, you can meet with this very problem.
- If the ‘Exclusive Mode’ is active, then there is a possibility for you to face this error.
- When the ‘Voice Settings’ are not set properly, next, this issue can crop up.
How to Rectify the Discord microphone not working Issue?
You will get multiple methods here that will help you to resolve this problem in the correct way.
Method 1: Execute Discord as an Administrator
If the Discord application is not executed as an Administrator, then there is a possibility for you to encounter the “Discord not detecting mic” problem. The correct way to resolve this issue is to run the Discord application as an Administrator. The steps are here as follows.
- First, locate the Discord application icon on the desktop.
- After that, right-click on the icon. This action will open a popup menu.
- Now, from this menu, find and choose the ‘Run as Administrator’ option.
- At last, check if this issue is still present or not when you need to communicate with other members.
Method 2: Change the Automatic Input Sensitivity Option
If the Automatic Input Sensitivity option within the Discord application is not active, then you might face this problem. Now, the best answer to resolve this problem is to alter the ‘Automatic Input Sensitivity’ option.
- First, open the Discord application.
- Next, within this window, go to the bottom left edge and then click on the ‘User Settings’ icon.
- Then, from the popup list locate and click on the ‘Voice & Video’ option under the ‘App Settings’.
- Now, on the new page move down a little and go to the ‘Input Sensitivity’ section. Inside that section, activate the option ‘Automatically determine input sensitivity’.
- After that, talk to the headset microphone and see if a solid green light glows or not.
- Now, if the bar is glowing in green color when you talk on the headset, next, deactivate the toggle button and see if the manual bar is present in the middle or not.
- Finally, when you speak on the headset and the manual bar starts to pulsate, next everything is fine, otherwise, move to the next method.
Method 3: Deactivate the Exclusive Mode within Windows OS
If the settings present within Exclusive Mode is active, then the “mic not working on Discord” issue can appear. The best way to get rid of this error is to deactivate the Exclusive Mode. Here’s how can you do it.
- First, go to the bottom right corner of the taskbar, then right-click on the ‘Sound’ icon.
- Next, from the popup menu, locate and choose the ‘Recording devices’ option. As you click on this option, then a new dialog box having the title ‘Sound’ will come up.
- Inside that dialog box, choose the ‘Recording’ tab. Under that tab, select the ‘Microphone’ option and then click the ‘Properties’ button.
- This action will open another dialog box, in it, click on the ‘Advanced’ tab. Within that tab, go to the ‘Exclusive Mode’ section and uncheck all the options. Next, choose the ‘Apply’ and ‘OK’ buttons respectively.
- At last, restart the computer and see if this error is still there or not.
Method 4: Choose the Correct Microphone
If the correct headset microphone is not chosen as the input device, then you might get this error. The right answer to fix this problem is to select the correct headset microphone. Follow these steps below.
- First, launch the Discord application then, go to the bottom-left edge of the screen and choose the ‘User Settings’ icon.
- After that, from the popup list locate and click on the ‘Voice & Video’ option. This option is present under the ‘App Settings’ section.
- As soon as you click on that option, then a new ‘Voice Settings’ popup menu will appear.
- Inside that menu, go to the ‘Input Device’ section and then choose the headset microphone from the list.
- Lastly, check whether the ‘Input Volume’ slider is set at the maximum level.
Method 5: Set the Voice Settings Once Again
If somehow the voice settings within the Discord application have got corrupted, then you can face with the “Discord not recognizing mic” problem. The most feasible solution to rectify this problem is to reset the voice settings of the Discord application. The steps are here as follows.
- First, go to the fourth method and then follow the initial three steps to open the ‘Voice Settings‘ pop up menu.
- Within that menu, go to the bottom and then choose the ‘Reset Voice Settings’ button present on the left side.
- As soon as you click on that button, then a popup message box will appear. In it, click on the ‘Okay’ button to confirm the selection.
- Now, the voice settings reset procedure of the Discord application will begin. Wait for this process to complete.
- At last, once the reset process is over, next, connect the headset and check if the microphone is working or not.
Method 6: Log out from Discord
If none of the above methods is able to correct this error, then as a final solution all you can do is simply log out from the Discord application and then re-login.
- First, launch the Discord application and then click on the ‘User Settings’ icon.
- As you click on that icon present at the lower-left edge of the screen, then a popup list will appear.
- Now, in the list, go to the bottom and click the ‘Log Out’ button. If you get a confirmation message box, then once again choose the button ‘Log Out’.
- You may need to repeat the process on the previous steps for few times until the Discord application successfully registers.
- Once the logout process is successful, next, input the Discord login credentials and see if this error is still present or not.