In order to transfer data present within a computer to another one via a USB flash drive or external hard disk is quite cumbersome, as you need to execute this process many times. Thus, to make the transfer process much easier and fast you need to connect two computers with an Ethernet cable.
However, one thing you should know which is that, there is a possibility to transfer files and folder from one machine to the other via a wireless connection. But, since the speed of the wireless connection varies severely therefore sometimes time taken to transfer files takes much longer.
Thus, here you will get a guide on how to transfer files from pc to pc using LAN cable in Windows 10.
How to Transfer Data between Two Laptops using LAN Cable?
Here, there will be methods that will guide you to send data from a Windows computer to another one with a LAN cable.
1: Steps to share data using A LAN Cable
You will get guiding steps here, that will help you to share data present within two Windows 10 via a LAN cable.
- First, connect both the laptop or desktop computers to the LAN ports of your modem or router using Ethernet cables.
- Now, go to the computer from where you want to transfer files and folders to another machine, and open Control Panel. To do so, press the ‘Windows + S’ and open the search section.
- Next, within that section, type ‘control panel’ and then from the output page choose the ‘Control Panel’ option.
- As soon as the Control Panel window comes up, then locate and click on the category ‘Network and Internet’. At this time a new page will appear, in it, tap on the ‘Network and Sharing Center’ option.
- Inside the new Network and Sharing Center page, go to the left pane and choose the ‘Change advanced sharing settings’ link. Now, another ‘Advanced sharing settings’ page will come up.
- Within this new page expand both the sections ‘Private’ and ‘Public’. After that, within those sections, select the following radio buttons ‘Turn on network discovery’ and ‘Turn on file and printer sharing’
- To confirm these changes, navigate to the bottom of the page and click on the ‘Save changes’ button.
ALSO Recommends| New Laptop Charger
Additional Steps for the Previous Method
Here, you get more steps on how to transfer data through LAN cable.
- First, close the Control Panel window then go to the Desktop and click on the ‘File Explorer’ folder icon from the taskbar.
- Once you are in the File Explorer window, next, move to the left pane and choose the ‘This PC’ option. Next, navigate to the right side of that window and then locate the file or folder that you want to share.
- When you have got hold of the file, next, simply right-click on it to open a popup menu. Now, from that menu locate the ‘Give access to’ option and hover the mouse pointer over it to launch the sub-menu.
- From the sub-menu that appears, choose the ‘Specific people’ option. As soon as you do that, then a new window having the name ‘Network access’ will come up.
- Inside the new window, click the ‘Everyone’ option from the list then go to the ‘Permission’ column and choose ‘Read/Write’.
- Finally, click on the ‘Share’ button to transfer a file or folder from one computer to another.
2: Access the data Shared
You will get steps here on how to access the data that is shared between two computers.
- Go to the second computer from where you to want to access the data that is shared by the first machine.
- After that, from the taskbar locate the ‘File Explorer’ icon and click on it to open the same. When a new window comes up, next, move to the left pane and choose the ‘Network’ option.
- This action will open a new page that shows files and folders which are shared on the network. Next, go to the address bar of the page and type the following path – “\\(name of the computer whose files you want to access)” and press ‘Enter’ key.
- At this time, you will have to provide the login credentials of the computer that you want to access and click on the ‘OK’ button. This will show all the shared files and folders of the other computer.
3: Connect two laptops on the same Network
Here, you will get steps regarding how to transfer data from one laptop to another using LAN cable on the same network.
- First, get hold of a network crossover cable, that has RJ45 jacks on both ends.
- Next, plug in one end of the cable to one machine and the other end to another computer.
- Now, follow the sub-steps below for both the computers.
- Press the ‘Windows + R’ keys simultaneously to open the ‘Run’ dialog box. Inside it, type ‘control panel’ and press ‘Enter’ key.
- This will open the ‘Control Panel’ window. Inside that window, go to the top-right corner and locate the search bar. In that bar, type ‘system’ and then from the results area click on the ‘System’ heading link.
- As soon as you do that, then a new page will appear, in it, go to the ‘Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings’ section and click on the ‘Change settings’ link.
- This opens a new dialog box with the title ‘System Properties’, in it, under the ‘Computer Name’ tab go to the bottom and tap on the ‘Change…’ button. Now, a new ‘Computer Name/Domain Changes’ dialog box will come up.
- Within it, change the name of the ‘Workgroup’ and keep it the same on both the computers. Click on the ‘OK’ button respectively.
More steps for the Third Method
- Follow the sub-steps below right after the previous method.
- Again, go to the search bar of the Control Panel and then enter ‘network’. After that from the results page locate the ‘Network and Sharing Center’ option and then click on the ‘View network connections’ link.
- This action will open a new ‘Network Connections’ page with a list of all the wired and wireless connections. Now, from that list, locate an active ‘Ethernet’ connection and right-click on the same.
- Next, from the popup menu that appears, find the ‘Properties’ option and click on it. This will open a new ‘Local Area Connection Properties’ dialog box.
- In that dialog box, scroll down the list and highlight the ‘Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4). Then, after the list choose the ‘Properties’ button.
- Once you click on that button, next, a new ‘Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties’ dialog box will appear. Inside this dialog box, go to the General tab and then select the ‘Use the following IP address’.
- Now, for both the computers provide different IP addresses – ‘192.168.0.1’ and ‘192.168.0.2’ respectively, but the Subnet Mask will be the same i.e ‘255.255.255.0’
- Finally, click on the ‘OK’ button then reboot both the devices to save any changes and transfer any data between them.