In this digital era, the promotion and sales of a small-scale business generally start with a good website. You should have noticed that every successful company has its own website.
Just think of any renowned brand you know. They definitely have a website, isn’t it? When people are more digitally connected, there is a need to make your business available online for its growth and expansion worldwide.
Also, setting up your business website from zero levels is easier than already created ones. This proves even easier for marketing agencies.
In view of this, we will provide you with 10 easy steps to create your website for a small business. This further helps in making your existing website more effective.
1. Get a Better Domain Name
Your domain name or website address is the main entrance to your website. It is quite necessary as it creates a good impression on the users and SEOs (Search Engine Optimization). Here are a few tips for generating an optimal domain name listed below:
- Make it simple and easy to spell without any esoteric words.
- Keep it very short.
- Use appropriate domain extension.
- Do not use numbers and hyphens as they are difficult to remember.
- Try to make the address broad to facilitate future growth
- Make it catchy so that is easy to memorize.
- Do proper research so that the domain does not include any registered trademarks.
- Examine properly to get it at a reasonable price.
- Choose a name which conveys meaning to your business.
- Create a URL which is SEO-friendly.
2. Purchase a Secure Website Hosting
Website hosts are companies which provide technology and services required for a site’s views on the internet. All you need is to connect your domain name with your hosting provider.
Thus, the users will be directed to your website on hosting account by viewing your website address. Here are some guidelines which will help you to choose a good hosting plan:
- Do not go for any ‘Shared Server’ hosting plan even if it costs you a little. Sharing a host will automatically share a server and its resources with other users. This will deteriorate the performance of your website. Also, if any website is hacked in your shared server, then it may affect it as well.
- A ‘dedicated server’ is the most expensive option to choose but it will be quite helpful to enhance the website performance.
- The most recommended one is VPS (Virtual Private Server). It is very affordable thus, offering you a good security and performance capacity of a dedicated server host.
- Ensure that the hosting enterprise has ‘call and chat support’ options to help you with a problem.
- In it lies the importance of a user-friendly interface viz. cPanel to use your server.
- Do check the type of ‘server security’ on the server you are choosing.
Some good website hosting organizations are- Godaddy, DreamHost, Bluehost, InMotion, SiteGround.
3. Display your Business Describing it Clearly and Prominently
It is very essential to let the audience know about your website for small business. Do make sure that your ‘hero image’ make a visual representation of the services you offer. In addition, the introduction part of your website should give a clear image of your business. Your webpage should also contain “About Us” section so that people can get to know your business in-depth.
4. The emphasis of Using a Content Management System
Content Management Systems are a set of programs that helps in creating and managing digital content. A good CMS is one which is user-friendly, extensive and within your budget. Let me give you an idea of a few CMS.
It is the most popular CMS available globally. It is freely available and its installation is quite simple. For small businesses, it is highly recommended as it is very flexible and extensive. You need to maintain it at regular intervals to maintain its security and prevent it from hacking.
Another famous CMS is Drupal. It is safer than WordPress in terms of malicious activity. However, it does not have much plugin or theme options, so it is less extensible.
It has better SEO, safety and security features, and capabilities of access to multiple languages.
This service allows you to subscribe monthly/annually which makes your website & blog creation easy. If you have a limited budget to afford a web designer, then this service is a great option for you.
5. Select the Best E-Commerce Platform
If you want to sell your products and services online, then you must be aware of the best technologies available. If you want users to use online mode of payment, you are supposed to choose the best medium for your business.
Some famous small business e-commerce sites are- WooCommerce, Shopify, Shopify Plus, Business SquareSpace, Wix, and GoDaddy Online Store.
6. Develop a Memorable, Interesting and User-Friendly Interface
Design your website more catchy and interesting by using beautiful graphics & easily readable fonts. Ensure that the graphics which are used are easily loaded. Do proper research to find out what the customers actually want. Focus on brand consistently throughout your website creation. Also, incorporate call-to-actions which are obvious such as ‘Buy now’ option.
7. Make your Website Optimized for SEO
Make your website in such a manner that it is appropriately ranked and made available for search engine users. If your website is optimally designed and content is of better quality, it will be made visible on the search result pages.
8. Create and Publish Content on Regular Intervals
What is important for the search engines is both quality content and freshness. This is why it is very important that you publish quality articles on your website as well as on external sites that connect to your site.
In addition, if you want people to visit your website, again and again, you need to update your site with new related content on a regular basis. Ensure that you use a content which uses an on-brand tone and it will be enjoyable by the mass.
9. Download Webmaster Engine
Make proper use of important data by analyzing traffic and site activities and also by downloading Google Analytics, Google Search Console and Bing Webmaster Tools.
These tools will help you to track audience, the number of views, bounce rate, to your site.
10. Introduce Website Maintenance Plan
You need to maintain your website properly so that it gets ranked favorably in search engines without getting hacked.
Ensure yourself to back up your website once a day. Also, make sure to check out your competition frequently.
You may think that creating a website for your small business might not be so easy. But if you follow the above-mentioned steps, I can assure you that your business will succeed very soon in the online platform.