Sometimes, when Windows 10 is not working properly or it has not been installed into the computer correctly, then for that reason there is a need to perform a clean install of the OS. Here, there will be a guide, that will give information regarding how to make a Windows 10 bootable USB.
Methods to create bootable USB Windows 10
You will get plenty of methods in here, that will provide help in order to make Windows 10 bootable USB.
Use the Microsoft Windows Media Creation Tool
The ‘Media Creation Tool’ is a utility made by Microsoft that lets you create a bootable Windows 10 USB drive to install the Operating System on a separate computer. Even using this tool you can also download the ‘.iso’ file, of the Windows 10 OS. After that, burn it on a DVD so as to make a bootable optical disc. Here, you will get steps on how to create bootable USB for the Windows 10 OS.
- Launch a web browser and visit the official Microsoft website. Then, inside that page go to the search section then type ‘media creation tool’ and press ‘Enter’.
- Next, from the search page locate the ‘Download Windows 10’ option and click on it.
As soon as a page with the heading ‘Create Windows 10 installation media’ comes up, then click on the ‘Download tool now’ button and save the setup file.
- Once the download process of the setup file, for the ‘Media Creation Tool’ is complete, next, double-click on it to open the same. Now, as soon as a new dialog box comes up, then tap the ‘Agree’ button to accept the license terms of the Microsoft.
- At this time another page will come up. In it, choose the ‘Create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) for another PC’ option and then click on the ‘Next’.
- On the page that appears next, check the options within ‘Language’, ‘Edition’ and ‘Architecture’ fields.
- If they are correct, then put a checkmark on ‘Use the recommended options for this PC’ option, otherwise choose the right options for the individual fields and then choose ‘Next’.
- From the new page, select the ‘USB flash drive’ radio button and tap on the ‘Next’ button. Now, choose the correct removable drive form the list and click on the ‘Next’ button once again.
- Lastly, tap on the ‘Finish’ button to begin the creation of a bootable USB drive of Windows 10.
Manually create the USB Bootable Drive via Command Prompt
This is another method to make a bootable USB drive of the Windows 10 using the Command Prompt. In order to do that, follow the steps below.
- First, insert the USB drive into the computer.
- After that, press the ‘Windows + S’ keys to launch the search section of the OS. In that section, enter the text “command prompt” then from the search output locate the ‘Command Prompt’ option and right-click on it.
- Next, from the popup menu that comes up, locate and choose the ‘Run as administrator’ option. As soon as you click on that option, then a new window having the name ‘Command Prompt’ will come up.
- Inside that window, type in the following command “diskpart” and hit the ‘Enter’ button to execute the same. This will open another window with the ‘Diskpart’ tool running
- Inside the new window, provide the command “list disk” and press the ‘Enter’ key. This command will show all the disks of the computer connected with it.
- Now, from the list of available disks locate the correct USB drive and then type the command “select disc X” and tap ‘Enter’. Here, replace ‘X’ with the disk number of the correct USB drive from the list.
- Once the right USB drive is chosen, next, to delete all the content within it, provide the command ‘clear’ and then hit the ‘Enter’ button.
- At this time, write the command “create partition primary” to make a bootable partition within the USB drive and press ‘Enter’. To choose the partition of the USB drive that you have created, type “select partition 1” then write “active” and hit ‘Enter’.
- In order to change the file type format of the USB drive, write “format fs=fat32” and then to execute press ‘Enter’. Next, type “assign” then hit ‘Enter’, to provide a drive letter to the USB drive.
- At last, copy every file from the ‘.iso’ file, of the Windows 10 and paste them onto the USB drive to make it a bootable disk.
Use the Windows USB/DVD Download Tool
You can use the Windows USB/DVD Download Tool to create a Windows 10 installation media. To do that, follow the steps below.
- First, take an empty USB drive of minimum 8GB storage capacity. Next, insert that drive into the computer.
- Now, double-click on ‘This PC’ icon to open a window that shows all the hard drives are other storage media connected to the computer.
- From that window, locate the USB drive icon and right-click on it. After that, from the popup menu that comes up, choose the ‘Format…’ option.
- This action will open the new dialog box and in it, put a checkmark on the ‘Quick Format’ option and then click on the ‘Format’ button. Wait for the formatting process to complete.
- At this time, visit the official Microsoft website and search for the ‘Windows USB/DVD Download Tool’. Once you have got hold of this software, next, download and install the same into the computer.
- When the installation of this application is complete, next, double-click on it to launch the same.
- Now, choose the ISO file of the Windows 10 OS and follow the instructions that come up on the screen to complete the bootable USB drive.
Use a reliable application to create a bootable USB Drive
In here, there will be various steps that will certainly help you to make a Windows 10 installation media USB. For that to happen, follow the step below.
- First, open the web browser and look for a reliable application to create Windows 10 installation USB drive on the Internet.
- Once you have found the reliable software on the search page, next, go to the official webpage of that application and download the setup file.
- Next, locate the setup file and double-click on it to launch the installer window. When the installer window opens up, next follow the instructions that come up on the screen and click on the ‘Install’ button.
- Once the installation of the reliable software for the creation of a bootable USB drive is complete, next, double-click on its icon to open the same. As the software opens up, then insert the USB drive.
- Now, inside that application window locate ‘Create a bootable USB drive’ option. At this moment, a menu will appear, in it, tap on the ‘Next’ button and then click the Windows 10 ISO file.
- At last, click on the ‘Start’ button to initiate the creation of a bootable USB drive.