You need to change Windows 10 password if someone has forgotten it or wants it to make more strong so that their account remains safe. Even, if the account of a user gets locked somehow, then as an administrator, you can alter the login password of the Windows 10 computer.
Also, if you want to change the current login password of the computer, then here you get the information on how to achieve it with the help of various methods.
How to change password on Windows 10?
Here, there will be many ways that will help you to modify the login password of the Windows 10 OS.
I: With Control Panel change another user’s Password
Get steps here to alter another user’s password using the Control Panel. So follow along.
- First, click on the ‘magnifying glass’ icon beside the ‘Windows’ logo. This will open the default search section.
- Inside that section, type the text “control panel” and then from the output page, locate and choose the ‘Control Panel’ option.
- As soon as the option is clicked, then a new window with the title ‘Control Panel’ will come up. Within that window, go to the top right corner and change the option of the View by:’ field to ‘Large icons’.
- Now, locate the ‘User Accounts’ and choose the same. This action will open a new page having the title ‘User Accounts’, in it, go to the section ‘Make changes to your user account’. Under that section, find the link ‘Manage another account’ and click on it.
- Once you click on that link, next, a new page will appear that has the title ‘Manage Account’. Within this page, there will be a list full of all the user accounts associated with the computer, along with your own.
- From that list, locate a specific user account, whose password you need to change and click on the same. Next, a new ‘Change an Account’ page will appear.
- Inside that page, move to the left pane and click on the ‘Change the password’ link. At this time a ‘Change Password’ page will appear, where you can input the new password for the associated user account.
- On the new page, enter the current password and then provide new passwords within the correct fields respectively. Then, click on the ‘Change password’ button.
II: Using Computer Management convert the Windows 10 Password
Here, you will get steps on how to change the Windows 10 password via the Computer Management.
- First, go to the ‘Desktop’, then locate and right-click on the ‘This PC’ icon. Next, from the popup menu that comes up, click on the ‘Manage’ option.
- As soon as you click on that option, then a new ‘Computer Management’ window will come up. Inside that window, navigate to the left panel and then expand the ‘System Tools’ option.
- Next, from the expanded list, locate the ‘Local Users and Groups’ sub-option and double-click on the same to reveal its content.
- Now, out of two contents present within the suboption, click on the ‘Users’ folder. After that, go to the middle pane and select the correct user, whose password you want to alter, then right-click on it.
- When a popup window comes up, next, tap on the ‘Set Password…’ option. At this time, a new dialog box will appear, in it, click on the ‘Proceed’ button.
- Next, put the new password on the two fields that are present and click the ‘OK’ button.
- At last, restart the computer and check if you open it with the new password or not.
III: Adjust the password for Windows 10 via Netplwiz
With the help of ‘netplwiz’ command, you can change admin password Windows 10. In order to do that, follow the steps below.
- First, hit on both the keys ‘Windows + R’ simultaneously. This action will launch a new dialog box having the title ‘Run’ will come up.
- Within that dialog box, enter the following text “netplwiz” on the empty area beside the ‘Open:’ label and click on the ‘OK’ button.
- As you click on that button, then a new ‘User Accounts’ window will appear. Inside that window, under the ‘Users’ tab go to the list and choose your username.
- After that, go to the bottom section ‘Password for Administrator’ and then click on the ‘Reset Password…’ button.
- At this time, a new dialog box having a title ‘Reset Password’ will come up, inside it, input the new password twice and then hit the ‘OK’ button.
IV: Change windows 10 password via Command Prompt
You can also change the Windows 10 password with the help of Command Prompt. To know how can you do it, follow these steps below.
- First, press the combination of “Windows + S” keys together to open a default search section of the OS.
- Next, inside the blank area type “command prompt”. Then, from the output page locate the ‘Command Prompt’ option and right-click on the same.
- Once you get the popup menu, next, click on the ‘Run as administrator’ option. Now, a new window having a black background and white text along with the title ‘Administrator: Command Prompt’ will come up.
- Within that window, input the following command “net user” and then press the ‘Enter’ key to execute the same. This command shows all the user accounts present within the computer on a list.
- Now, from that list locate and select the user account whose password you wish to modify and enter the command “net user (name of the user) (new password)” and hit ‘Enter’ key.
- When the new password for the chosen user account is set by the command mentioned in the previous step, next, you will see a message “The command completed successfully”.
- At last, boot the computer once again and see if you can log in to Windows with the new password.
V: Utilize Settings application to amend the Windows 10 Password
Here, you get the steps to change the Windows 10 password with the help of the Settings application.
- Hit the ‘Windows logo’ key on the keyboard, to open the ‘Start’ menu.
- From that menu, go to the left pane and click on the ‘Gear’ icon present right above the ‘Power’ icon.
- As you click on that icon, then a new ‘Settings’ window will appear. Inside that window, you will get various setting categories that are specific to the Windows OS. Those setting category can be altered by you accordingly.
- Out of all the categories present, choose the one that says ‘Accounts’. Once you click on that category, next, a new page will appear, in it, go to the left panel and tap on the ‘Sign-in options’ item.
- Now, navigate to the right side and then under the ‘Password’ heading click on the ‘Change’ button. At this time, a new window with a blue background and ‘Change your password’ will appear.
- Within that window, you will see your username and a blank area, where input the current password and click on the ‘Next’ button.
- Next, another page will come up, in it, type in the new password twice and along with that, you can provide a hint, then tap on the ‘Next’ button.
- At last, to check the new password restart the computer and check if it works or not.